Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region Position: Development Intern – Summer 2018 (unpaid)
*Also accepting applications for Fall 2018.
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region (BBBS IR) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBS IR is the second largest BBBS agency in the nation. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life.
INTERNSHIP SUMMARY BBBS IR seeks a part-time Development Intern who will work 10 hours or up to 24 hours per week. This position reports to the Director of Development, Major Gifts. This internship will provide an introduction into all facets of individual giving and donor relations; including prospect research, metrics for qualifying prospects, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors. The internship will include opportunities to learn and utilize technology services such as Wealth Engine, Targeted Analytics and E-tapestry as well as opportunities to participate in donor engagement events and activities.
The Development Intern will be expected to:
- Support donor cultivation and stewardship initiatives, including participation in developing engagement strategies, drafting talking points, conducting wealth screenings, and interacting with supporters including volunteers, donors and alumni as needed.
- Monitor and help manage donor engagement across multiple platforms, including contacts in E-tapestry, Outlook calendar, and outreach through direct and electronic mail.
- Assist in the design and implementation of a donor climate survey.
- Attend donor visits and learn solicitation and retention strategies.
- Prepare copy and branded material for giving societies, annual appeals, planned giving campaigns and donor communications
- Conduct interviews with staff and volunteer leadership to develop prospect portfolios.
- Conduct environmental scanning for opportunities to retain, upgrade and acquire individual donors.
- Represent BBBS IR at Development functions as needed.
- Work on reports and projects, and respond to requests as assigned.
- Exhibit optimism and professionalism in all interactions.
Candidates must be working toward a college degree. Applicants seeking a for-credit internship preferred. Applicants should be positive, curious, hardworking and motivated. This position demands discretion and sensitivity regarding donor data and confidentiality. Excellent verbal and written skills are a must, as this position includes personal interaction with diverse populations of staff, volunteers, and donors. Applicants should also be able to conduct internet research, edit copy and be confident in their presentation skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required. Intern will be based in Cherry Hill, New Jersey with occasional opportunities to accompany staff to events, meetings and visits throughout the service area of Philadelphia, Delaware, Chester and Montgomery counties.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online. Please indicate in the cover letter which semester(s) you are interested in and the number of hours and days of the week you are available for the internship.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
BBBS IR promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBS IR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.