Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: Match Activities Intern Spring or Summer 2019 (part-time, unpaid)
Location: Philadelphia, PA
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region (BBBS IR) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBS IR is the second largest BBBS agency in the nation. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life.
BBBS IR seeks a part-time intern to work with our Match Activities team providing support to our annual offerings for our mentors and mentees. This position requires 15 - 20 hours of work per week, mostly during 9-5 business hours with some weekend events, and is based out of our Center City Philadelphia. The Match Activities team coordinates activities for our Big/Little matches throughout the year in all seven of our service counties.
- Responsible for planning logistics and leading the facilitation of one match activity during the year.
- Assist planning team with on-going support for 35 to 45 events per year.
- Aid in staffing events, when appropriate and available.
- Responsible for ticket mailings and proper documentation of donations with our fund development team.
- Vet possible event offerings to the agency to determine if they are appropriate as Match Activities.
- Research locations for new Match Activity ideas based on specified logistical requirements.
- Work to increase Discount Offers for Matches.
- Investigate on-going community events.
- Work with Marketing and Communications team to assist in upgrading information for BBBS IR website.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Academic: High school degree required. Undergraduate or Graduate Student seeking college credit for an internship with a major in event planning, hospitality or HADCE (human development & Community engagement), or similar preferred, but not required.
Professional: Strong organizational skills required; attention to detail; ability to work independently and be creative and innovative; and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office software packages including Word, Outlook, and Excel with the ability to research online information.
Personal Attributes: Must have a passion for our mission; be dedicated; demonstrate an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people especially via phone and email communication. Candidate should have a customer/client focus, be results and outcome oriented, approachable and highly organized.
Please submit cover letter and resume online and indicate which semester(s) you are available for an internship.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
BBBS IR promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBS IR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.