Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: Marketing and Communications Intern (UNPAID - Spring 2019 or Summer 2019)
Location: Center City, Philadelphia, PA
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region (BBBS IR) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBS IR is the second largest BBBS agency in the nation. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life. BBBS IR and seeks a part-time, unpaid Marketing and Communications Intern with a schedule of approximately 15-20 hours per week. The position requires some night and weekend hours, based on event schedule.
This internship will provide exposure to every facet of non-profit marketing and communications. The intern will work directly with all levels of the organizations from entry-level specialists to agency leadership. The intern will learn about and be expected to:
- Support all communications functions, including proofreading and editing copy.
- Write copy for and brand internal and external communications pieces and marketing materials.
- Manage seasonal social media College Bigs recruitment campaign, including crafting and scheduling posts, monitoring results, adjusting ads as necessary, and compiling outcomes report.
- Work within a diverse array of events from simple informational and committee meetings to high-end multi-faceted major fundraising events. Attendance at said events is required.
- Aide with the concept, creation, execution and break down and follow-up of events.
- Assist with managing databases and other event related administrative task as needed.
- Ability to catalogue and categorize event and marketing supplies.
- Take notes and create minutes reports from committee, planning, and internal meetings.
- Monitor and help manage social media for BBBS IR across multiple platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Understanding of analytics and measurement preferred.
- Conduct interviews of volunteers, mentees, and families and write stories/articles for marketing materials.
- Serve as project manager for Marketing & Communications team, monitoring requests submitted through online submission form and meeting with team members weekly to keep projects on track.
- Track all agency media hits and assist with creating and editing materials around press events as needed.
- Conduct environmental scanning for opportunities to communicate with various audiences.
- Work on ad hoc reports and projects, and respond to requests as assigned.
Applicants working toward a college degree are preferred. Preferred fields: Marketing, Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, or related areas. Applicants should be hard working and motivated. Excellent writing skills are a must. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, & Excel required, Microsoft Outlook a plus. Position will be based in BBBS IR’s Center City office (123 South Broad St., Suite 1050, Phila., PA).
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online. Please indicate which semester(s) you are available for the internship in your cover letter.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
BBBS IR promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBS IR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.