Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: Major Gifts Officer (full-time, exempt)
Location: Philadelphia, PA with regional travel among the agency’s 7 service counties in Southeastern PA and Southern NJ
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region (BBBS IR) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBS IR is the third largest BBBS agency in the nation. Its mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Its vision is that all children achieve success in life.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Vice President of Advancement and is responsible for securing funds through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of an assigned group of qualified donors. The Major Gifts Officer is a member of the agency’s Advancement Team and works closely with the Governing Board and the Board Development Committee. Travel to donor visits, branch offices, special events, community events is required, as is some nights and weekends.
Develop and Steward a Major Donor Portfolio
- Build, cultivate, and manage a portfolio of 75-100 qualified major gift donors with a focus on those making gifts of $5,000+
- Create individual goals and cultivation plan for each donor in the portfolio taking into account the donor’s interest, motivation, giving pattern and ask preferences.
- Conduct research to inform the plan, prioritize prospects, and determine goals for each donor
- Convert current one-time/event donors with high capacity to make major, multi-year investments
- Set up and conduct effective face to face meetings with donors, identifying philanthropic interests, sharing giving opportunities, and closing, retaining, and upgrading gifts.
- Meet quarterly fundraising goals, with ability to increase annual revenue goal by 20% each year
- Create and implement a major gift donor appreciation strategy
Engage Board Members
- In collaboration with the CEO and VP Advancement, ensure timely completion of all Governing Board Agreements
- Based on research and historic giving, determine leadership gift amount
- Work with Board members to implement additional giving initiative including hosting cultivation events at their home or office, participation in the solicitation of new and existing donors, introducing new potential donors to BBBS IR.
Develop a Major Donor Strategy
- Collaborate with Individual Giving and other Advancement colleagues to develop and implement strategy to significantly expand the base of support from high net worth individuals
- Work with the Program and Marketing teams to create proposals for asks to secure gifts and for follow giving reports
- Develop new case statements and update existing ones.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of BBBS IR’s mentoring programs in order to effectively articulate the agency’s priorities and fundraising objectives to donors
Salesforce Management and Reporting
- Maintain accurate, timely records/contact reports of all interactions with donors in our constituent relationship management system (Salesforce).
- Create monthly reports that reflect activity and performance to align with metrics.
- Analyze donor data and giving trends as needed to grow contributions.
Academic: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s and/or CFRE preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years development experience preferred with emphasis on major gift donors in a not for profit environment
- Demonstrated experience and success in soliciting and securing 5-6 figure gifts
- Experience managing a portfolio of 75+ donors
- Proven aptitude to effectively develop and steward long-term relationships with high net worth individuals
- Experience with donor database management (salesforce.com experience highly preferred), Microsoft Office tools (including Excel), expense management
- Exhibit a passion for our life-changing mission
- Solid writing, editing, and presentation ability
- Self-starter with strong dedication to accountability
- Ability to manage multiple projects and achieve timely result
- Effectively integrate initiatives with the Agency’s vision and strategic goals
- Maintain a positive and constructive attitude and high ethical standards at all times in interactions with members of the team, agency staff, and external partners.
- Ability to manage people, process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures
- Strong organizational, administration, telephone, and interpersonal communication skills
Willing and able to work full-time; have viable transportation enabling efficient travel to offices, donor visits and events and have valid driver’s license and insurance to meet job responsibilities; willing and able to work effectively with diverse populations and in diverse areas.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
At BBBS IR, we serve children facing adversity in the Southeastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey area. Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBS IR promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBS IR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor. A diversity of lived experiences will better enable us to serve and improve lives.
Cover letter with salary expectations and resume should be submitted online. Note: Only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.